Freemantle United Reformed Church
257 Shirley Road, Southampton, SO15 3GT
Our church was opened in 1885 as Freemantle Congregational Church. It occupied buildings at the corner of Shirley and Roberts Roads, but these were totally destroyed in an air raid in 1940. Our members continued to worship in the nearby Seventh Day Adventist Church until the church hall on the present site was opened in 1950. This was used for worship until the present church was opened in 1957. We became Freemantle United Reformed Church in 1972 when Congregational and Presbyterian churches joined together, and we are now part of the South West Hants Group of churches.
We are a mixture of people of all ages and from different backgrounds. We have found the church to be a caring place, where we have learned about God and can come to worship him in a relevant way. We also believe that we exist to serve Jesus in the world. We aim to be a church in the community and for the community.